MEN'S FACE WASH SECRETS
Age-old questions among guys is how many times a day should you wash your face, why do you even need to use a face wash and what ingredients to look out for in order to get that perfect looking complexion staring proudly and confidently back at you in the mirror. We are going to break it all down for you and reveal our men's face wash secrets, making your face washing experience an exquisite pleasure rather than a tiresome chore.
There is no “one answer covers all”, although you should be washing your face twice a day; once in the morning to get your day off to the best possible start, and once at night ensuring you get the healthiest, most relaxing, full night’s sleep. However, keep in mind that this is subject to change depending on factors such as your skin type, the environment you work in and your lifestyle.
1. If you have an oily skin type, you should aim at washing your face the suggested twice a day, but don’t forget to also wash immediately after exercise or working in a dirty environment to wipe away that excess oil and dirt.
2. If you have a dryer skin type, you want to be avoiding hot water on your face at all costs as this further dries out your skin. You might get away with using a face wash just once a day, in the evening, to wash away the grime that’s attached itself to your skin during the course of the day.
3. Over-washing and under-washing your face can both have negative effects on your skin’s appearance. If you wash your face too frequently you wash away the natural oil your sebaceous glands produce to keep your skin looking young and healthy.
4. “Borrowing” your girlfriend’s face wash isn’t going to cut it. You need to be using a face wash designed purely and simply for men’s skin. (Want to know why?)
5. The skin on your face is thinner and more delicate than the rest of your body. Please don’t use a brush or a loofah on your face. You’ll be doing more harm than good.
WHY WATER JUST ISN’T ENOUGH?
OK. We feel you. You’ve been working tirelessly all day and washing your face just sounds like a colossal pain in the arse. Why not just splash your face with some water? Is it really worth the effort? Well, the answer is an emphatic “YES!” and we’re sharing with you exactly why you should be spending a few moments every evening cleansing your face.
1. THE NEW SKIN ENEMY
The vast majority of us live in urban areas where the daily battle your skin engages with against pollution is a ferocious one. But have you ever stopped to consider what pollution actually does to your skin? Pollution contains free radicals and other invaders that are able to penetrate deep into your skin causing long-term damage and blackening your skin cells from deep within. This causes acne, dark spots, rashes, dryness and premature ageing.
Care to hazard a guess at how many times you touch your face every day? Researchers put the exact figure at 15.7 times per hour! Now consider everything your hands come into contact with that you don’t even think about – your desk, steering wheel, phone, doors are just a few of the things that can transmit germs onto your hands, which you in turn transfer onto your face. These germs can cause pimples and they can also carry viruses that make you sick.
3. BE YOUR OWN MODEL
Ridding your face of impurities, build-up, bacteria, pollution and dead skin cells allows your fresh, new skin to shine through. Let’s face it, we all want to look the best we can and a couple of minutes out of our busy daily schedule for great rewards isn’t asking too much, is it?
WHAT TO KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR?
Alright guys, you might enjoy the sensual smell and the super lathering capabilities of your girlfriend’s face wash, but the simple fact of the matter is that if you look beyond these attributes, “her” face wash is doing your skin no good whatsoever. You need a face wash specially designed towards your skin. Here are a few tips on which ingredients to look for in order to give your skin the best chance of looking fantastic:
1. DON’T BE FOOLED BY THE FOAM – from creating funky foamy hairstyles in the bath to being covered in luscious lather at foam parties, we have a joyous association with soapy bubbles. However, the ingredients that create these fun slippery suds are anything but good. SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) and SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulphate) are commonly used surfactants that are responsible for making a product foam up. Although effective at removing dirt from your skin, they strip your skin of its natural oils, which causes dry, irritated skin. In addition, they are known to combine with other chemicals to form nitrosamines, known carcinogens that can cause serious harm to your health.
2. EMOLLIENTS - meaning soother or softener, emollients help prevent moisture loss and keep your skin looking great. In our Men’s Face Wash, we use powerful emollients such as Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycol Distearate and Stearic Acid to calm and soothe irritated, dry skin.
3. HUMECTANTS - are known for their ability to retain moisture. Broken down simply, humectants are like magnets that attract water. They prevent moisture loss from your skin helping you achieve that desired look of perfection. Allantoin, Aloe Vera and Glycerine are all excellent humectants that you can find in our Men’s Face Wash.
4. PROTECT YOUR SWIMMERS - an overwhelming majority of skin care products contain parabens - preservatives that protect against bacteria and other microorganisms and that also give the product a longer shelf life. Parabens are known to be estrogenic (meaning they act like estrogen) and they are also believed to be carcinogenic. Constant exposure to parabens could lead to a low sperm count or a decrease in testosterone levels.
5. DESIGNED FOR MEN - you can continue using products that aren’t specifically made for men if you really like. But you won’t see any real improvement in your skin tone or complexion. It needs repeating that you require products designed just for men’s skin. Look for carrier oils such as Avocado Oil, Almond Oil or Jojoba Oil that can effectively penetrate deep into the thicker epidermis that men have giving you the full skin care benefits.
It’s important to keep your body and face healthy. Take these men's face wash secrets to heed, invest in real men’s products, spend a couple of minutes a day enjoying the full benefits, watch the improvement in your skin and listen to the compliments come rolling in!